Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Skipping town

A few days before moving out to Chicago, I had decided I should put some music on my phone so I would have something to listen to on the drive out here. Its been a while since I paid much attention to music and I knew the other people in the car wouldn't want to listen to Milo Goes to College on repeat for 12 hours so I tried to put some stuff I knew would be more universally accepted. One thing lead to another and I wound up with Come on Feel the Illinoise by Sufjan Stevens on there (and Milo Goes to College). These two records, along with the weekly podcast of this American Life, have been the soundtrack for my daily commute.


I have two more actual days of class  where I will complete my sugar showpiece - from there I have a week of practicals and then preparation for graduation. In two and a half weeks I will be leaving Chicago and heading back to upstate New York. Chicago has had a profound impact on me in so many ways. The food I've had, the people I've met, the places I've see and things I have done. School. So much has happened in the past six months its hard to articulate how I feel about the whole experience. I've grown so much.  It breaks my heart leaving - I feel like theres still so much I can do here. But at the same time I am excited to be back in the comfort of my home, with my family and those I love. There are a tremendous amount of possibilities now - things I can do, places I can go. Who knows whats next. I am anxious for whatever it is. 

3 comments:

  1. I concur 100 percent. I, too, moved to Chicago from upstate New York and listened to TAL and Sufjan Stevens almost religiously. I, too, have fallen in love with this city and it breaks my heart to be returning home in 2.5 weeks. Nice to know I'm not alone:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you find that people back home are surprised by your love of Chicago? I feel like New York City gets all the acclaim, which is sort of shame because this city is so absolutely wonderful in its own way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually it seems most people Ive talked to from NY absolutely love Chicago. Its a lot less overwhelming than Manhattan, which is nice. I wouldnt hesitate to say that the food scene in Chicago at least rivals NYC.

    ReplyDelete