Friday, August 26, 2011

Adventures in Coffee Making Part II

So for todays coffee I redid the n2o cold brew that I made yesterday and compared it to what I would consider my normal cold brew coffee.

Batch A: 
Brew: n2o in 1 liter canister
Room Temperature: 24.7 C
Grinds: 31.8 g, room temperature
Water: 510.29 g, tap, filtered through a Brita, room temperature
Charges: 2
Brew Time: 15 hours in fridge

Batch B:
Brew: Grinds and h2o in 1 liter plastic container
Room Temperature: 24.7 C
Grinds: 31.8 g, room temperature
Water: 510.29 g, filtered through a Brita, room temperature
Brew Time: 15 hours in fridge

So I did break out my 'real' camera for todays comparison. However its pretty apparent that I still do not really know the finer points of photography. I tried using a backlight to really show the difference in color between the different brews but that just kind of made my pictures really dark. Either way - if you look at the picture above you can see the difference - Batch A, on the left is much more opaque than Batch B, on the right.

Above you have the regular pour of Batch A. The only difference I noticed between today and yesterday was the absence of the oils on the surface. Not sure what would cause this but...okay. The flavor was, as far as I could tell, identical to yesterdays brew. One thing I did not note yesterday, and which happened again today was I had to change the filter in the middle of straining Batch A because of an excess of fine particles. This was not the case for Batch B - which was identical with the exception of the n2o.

Above you have the aerated pour of Batch A. My process was the same as yesterday, pouring the coffee between two glasses 20 times. The bubbles you see on the surface are there because this was the last cup I poured before snapping pictures - it did not have time for them to work their way out. 

 This was the regular pour for Batch B - it looks a little weird in the picture mostly because its a crappy picture. This looked identical to the aerated pour which is pictured below - showing the clarity much better.


Okay so..Batch A tasted more or less so exactly the same as yesterday. The aerated pour wasn't quite as mellow as I remembered it being yesterday, but it was still my favorite pour by a large margin. Batch B tasted much more like Batch A that the hot automatic drip did - making the comparison a little more difficult today. For the most part Batch B just tasted like a slightly watered down version of Batch A. As I mentioned above, and from what you can see in the pictures - Batch A was much more opaque than Batch B. From what I understand of coffee brewing in general - the pressure on the grinds when you make espresso helps extract oils which emulsify and become the crema in the end. My best guess here? The pressure in the isi canister is much greater than what is produced in an espresso machine - so maybe the oils are suspended throughout the coffee rather than in crema on top?

 Or maybe Im an idiot. 

So top to bottom. Best to worst. My favorite was the aerated pour of the cold n2o brew. A distant second  would be the regular pour of the regular cold brew. Just a hair behind that would be the regular pour of the cold n2o brew. And in last place is the aerated pour of the regular cold brew. 

1 comment:

  1. Very good write-up. I certainly love this site.
    Keep writing!

    My site: Choice Green COffee

    ReplyDelete