Monday, May 16, 2016

Insomnia

Its just past midnight and I'm sitting here nursing a glass of bourbon

Instead of sleeping - or better yet, doing work that needs to be done - I am working on a Spotify playlist that will never be played at the restaurant. 

As per usual, my sleep cycle is out of whack - not being able to sleep when its most important. I have a 16 hour day ahead of me - starting 7.5 hours from now. 

The upside to this scenario is stretches of solitude where I can actually be productive. The problem is, I always seem to drift off, down the rabbit hole that is the internet. Making playlists. Falling deep into the reddit homepage. Instagram. Anything but what needs to be done 

And there is quite a mountain of things that need to be done. 

The best way I can describe opening a restaurant is being completely overwhelmed by everything at all times. It is an unsurmountable amount of work that never stops growing. Its like when you first dump all the puzzle pieces on the table. You don't even know where to begin. Then, you start sorting your colors. You build your border. And before you know it, the final image begins to appear before your eyes. 

J & I have decided to stay in the Capital District another year. Opportunities have presented themselves that are too good to pass up. Its too soon to move on from Peck's Arcade. We're only just getting started. And little pecks? Its shaping up to be something just as special.

I was rear ended a few days ago. Its been a whirlwind of paperwork since. Ive nursed this car more than any other I've owned, and its been hit twice in its short 4,500 mile life. The first was a hit and run while it was parked, and the second this week. It'll be 10 days until I'm back in it. 

We are moving to downtown Troy next month. Both of us will be able to walk to work. This is probably the best thing that could happen for both of us. 

I've switched to Sleepy Time Tea. Next move is melatonin. 

We toured the Celestial Seasonings factory in Colorado on our road trip. We did lots of stupid stuff on that trip because it was free. This was one tour that was actually fun. Thats mostly because we had a good, very sarcastic tour guide. 

Corey's place opened. I don't see him much any more. That bums me out.

Starting next month I will have health insurance for the first time since my early twenties.

I still miss the desert. 

My life has become a series of deadlines. 

John came in for dinner. Twice. The first time he brought one of my mentors, who I haven't seen since shortly after I moved back from Chicago. It was a lot of fun cooking for them. 

Its fun cooking food you like

Its fun working for and with people you like

Its a remarkable feeling having people back you up. Believe in you and what you do.

I don't write too much any more. Hard to find the time. 


Overhead:

'That rice and beans life'

'Just down here flicking flowers into Greg's mouth, nothing to see here'

'For a while, I didn't even know it, but my wiener was hanging out of my dress'

'I woke up in the morning and the dog was covered in my shit'

'Its so hard to think'

'Amtrak time machine'

'DUDE, I cant read sign language'

'Give that bulldog a taco GOD DAMMIT'

'What book?? Scumbags guide to dating?'

'Hey old Kurt Russel, fuck off. You were great in Waterworld, but get outta here'

'My ass was purple for like 3 weeks'

'She'll love being part of the downtown dog scene'

'The worlds weird today. PUDDLES OF MILK. Everything is so fucking weird'

'Thank GOD I only got like 20 years left on this planet'

'If I had your wiener, Id do LOTS of things with it'

'The penis definitely brightened my day yesterday'

'I wish I was jeff. The muscles'

'I like your little hole'

'Crouching Tiger Hidden Pizza'

'Is that a dog or a GUN?'

'I got into college on my dance skills'

'Remember that time I farted in your mouth?'

'This is a good test because you guys are at the highest level of bakery snob'


3 comments:

  1. For selfish reasons, I'm glad you are sticking around. I still have a chance to try your food and meet you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto. While I've met Greg and had his food already, I'm looking forward to more.

      Delete