Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Oh, hey

Time flies.
I suppose its to be expected.
These hiatuses are not exactly unheard of.

J & I took a little trip the first week of January.
We drove to Charleston &; back. 
It felt good to be back on the road
Charleston was nice.
I haven't been since I was 21. It was J's first time in the city. 
'Its like New Orleans with a stick up its ass'.

Some highlights:
  • Sitting belly to the bar at the Boiler Room in Kinston, NC - drinking beer and eating fried oysters and saltines
  • Relaxing at Leon's in Charleston after a exhausting drive full of delays, and having maybe the best roasted oysters we've ever had. 
  • An unexpectedly wonderful meat at FIG
  • The entire menu at Beasley's Chicken + Honey 
  • Every second we spent in Philadelphia - including a meal that surpassed virtually any we had in 2016 - at the astoundingly good Wm. Mulherin's Sons .

Zoe & I took a quick trip to New York in late February 
We adored Cosme.
Olmsted, on the other hand...
Using a ride sharing service completely changes the experience of a day trip to New York
(fuck uber)


J & I have been talking about visiting Alberta (Calgary, Banff, Jasper, Edmonton) for years. Maybe its about time to plan that one.



While we have not signed our lease yet - we are moving to Watervliet. 
Its hard to say how I feel about it. Living in Downtown Troy is absurdly expensive. 
Saving money will be nice


We picked up a CSA with The Alleged Farm this year. We really enjoyed our CSA with Roxbury in the past, but thought we would try something new. They seem to be into weird produce, which is perfect for us. I love the challenge to not waste anything. I'm dreaming of tomato sandwiches.

I also purchased a CSA from Colie - who I have had the pleasure of getting to know a bit over the past year. I really couldn't be happier to help support her growing business. We are very lucky to be surrounded by so many talented artisans in this area. Its such a privileged to watch them grow and thrive... and so easy to see them wither away.

J is happy about this CSA

We aren't quite as good as we used to be, but we definitely still try to buy every time we step into a independent business - even if our intentions are just to say, 'Hi'.

That is one thing I will really miss about living in Troy. There is more community here than anywhere else I have lived. We know so many of our neighbors, business owners. Hell, konigin knows every shop she can go into to say hi to another pup or grab a treat.

When Nick convinced me to pick up a new TV this past holiday season, the deal I landed came with a $100 Dell gift card. This proved to be the most worthless $100 Ive ever received. After agonizing about how to use it for a few months, I decided to pick up a (not) fit bit. I enjoy obsessing over data (I fully understand how inaccurate these things are) and its nice to have something to look at other than instagram and twitter.

One thing I noticed is that it tracks my sleep. How? Who knows (who cares). But it brought to light something that I was only sort of aware of. While I never really got a lot of sleep - according to the data I was averaging less than 1 hour of deep sleep a night. Lots of waking up sporadically. Because I am now an adult, and have insurance coverage -  I now have a rx for trazadone, to help sing me to sleep. And big surprise - I feel significantly better with a more regular sleep pattern.

This regular sleep pattern is also made possible by LPs adjusting its kitchen hours.

Its kind of amazing how different cooking savory food feels vs doing pastry.
Pastry is definitely still my thing though.

People are always so delighted when I tell them I am a Pastry Chef.
For some reason there is a big sense of whimsy that comes with the title.
The reality is that I deeply regret pursuing a career this industry,
and the harsh reality is that it is a very difficult industry to get out of. 

This became very clear to me when I started looking for other things to do when we were planning to move to Asheville. I have a worthless associates. No bachelors. No experience outside of kitchens that is worth anything. Its something I still struggle with often and thinking about it leads me down a rabbit hole of anxiety. Its terrifying feeling stuck. What else could I do? What would I go to school for? What has a true return on investment?


There is no type of person that gets under my skin more than a chef who thinks they are bad ass simply because they are a chef. This type of person is exactly how I would describe (my experiences in) the Saratoga restaurant community - and a big part of why I do not miss it at all.

It also doesn't seem like Troy has much in the way of industry bars. The Ruck is definitely the spot - but its also just a popular bar so... I avoid it like the plague after a certain hour.

Troy needs another bar like the Ruck that isn't the Ruck. Dont get me wrong, I enjoy going to The Ruck...but..it can get a little BRO for me. Maybe the Local will fill that void. Maybe the Bradley will. Who knows. I have a feeling Ill spend a decent amount of time at Deacon Blues now.




2 comments:

  1. Though not in Watervliet, check out The Tugboat Tavern on Bridge street in Cohoes...great local bar vibe and food!

    ReplyDelete